Feeling Thankful

One week ago today, I lamented about the possibility of a very destructive hurricane, and today I am simply thankful that Dorian chose a different path.

On Friday, I enjoyed the first semblance of normalcy I have felt in the past week, as I played Mahjongg with some friends. It felt odd, ‘out of sorts’, as Malcolm said to me this morning, to be re-entering our lives. We endured a small inconvenience, a disruption of little consequence but it still feels odd to be returning to normal, every day life.

Maybe the expectation of a negative outcome had prepared our minds for that scenario to play out and when it did not happen, we were both relieved and somewhat forlorn. I know that sounds strange, but let me try to explain.

Days of intense preparation followed by a roller coaster ride of uncertainty, followed by nothingness; no sense of urgency, no challenge or discomfort, nothing but, ‘well, that was strange.’ Dodging a bullet is exactly the right analogy to put this feeling into perspective. The impending doom, the relief when it misses, the wave of both gratitude and guilt and finally a return to normal.

My community, our state, and the entire country was prepared and in a much better position to respond to and overcome devastation than those who are now suffering in the Bahamas. Intellectually, I  know it was not a them or us situation, and it was not some bizarre cosmic message, but it sure feels like that.

So, what’s the lesson? Is there one, or, is it just a paradox, as Cathy from Smart Living 365.com explains in Torn Between Two Worlds. Cathy states that ‘while we may not be in control, we all have choices.’ Our choice, in this case, is how will we respond.

hurricane bahamas

Caption: GREAT ABACO, BAHAMAS – SEPTEMBER 5: Debris is seen after Hurricane Dorian passed through in The Mudd area of Marsh Harbour on September 5, 2019 in Great Abaco Island, Bahamas. Hurricane Dorian hit the island chain as a category 5 storm battering them for two days before moving north. (Photo by Jose Jimenez/Getty Images) ORG XMIT: 775399550 ORIG FILE ID: 1166092948 (Photo: Jose Jimenez, Getty Images)

The entire article by Trevor Hughes with USA Today may be viewed here.

Feeling……………

thankful-1036x479

This entry was posted in On My Mind, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Feeling Thankful

1. Dan Antion says:

The preparation, worry, and in some cases evacuation must be hard under any circumstances. I’m glad the storm turned when it did. I feel very bad for the people in the Bahamas.

2. I can relate to how you feel. It was quite a stressful week just waiting and expecting the worst. We watched the storm track carefully and chose to stay even when the entire coast was under a mandatory evacuation. I am so grateful we were spared. It could have been so much worse.

3. Hi Suzanne! Your post perfectly expresses the paradox that I think many of us are living these days. Preparing for challenges, living through them, and then “recovering” is something that we all do most of the time (if we’ve been alive for any length of time!) And yes, there are ALWAYS plenty worse off (the devastation in the Bahamas is heart breaking) but then there are also plenty who are way BETTER off. Living in that paradox is what we do. HOW we do it is always the question. Glad you came through it well and are still questioning!!! ~Kathy

4. JT Twissel says:

I’m glad you were spared by like Dan, I can’t stop thinking about those poor folks in the Bahamas.

5. I’m so happy that you (and the other east coast bloggers I follow) were spared this time. I hope those who can afford it, will consider donating to the relief efforts in the Bahamas. The destruction there is unimaginable.

6. I’m so glad to hear that you are safe and sound, and have enjoyed your first semblance of normalcy. So much to be grateful for!

• Donna, it does feel good to be easing back into daily life. Malcolm is slowly removing shutters from the house and light is pouring in. Our neighborhood has a ten-day rule and he will use every one of them, as other systems pop up in the Caribbean which may pose a threat. Thanks for your well wishes.

7. Gilda Baxter says:

Suzanne, I am so glad you and your family are now getting back to some normalcy. The devastation in the Bahamas is heartbreaking. I just hope they will get the help they need to rebuild their lives. Desperately sad for all the people who lost loved ones.

8. Thankful is a good word in this case, and prayers and thoughts to those in the Bahamas. I am very glad Florida managed to escape the brunt of this storm. I’m not going to get on a soapbox here, but I do wonder how much the news/weather reports play into our emotional roller coast during these storms. Yes, we want to hear the latest information so we can be prepared, but the drama involved in the presentation is hard to ignore. When we have a snowstorm coming towards NH, the fear/scare level is so high there is always a run on the stores for every conceivable product that might be needed. Is all of that necessary just so we take safety precautions? I’m not sure. Enjoy your day today because you earned it. 🙂

• Judy, there is no doubt that some meteorologists use storms like this as ‘their moment’ to shine. But, if it were a two day and not a ten day storm, we would be questioning the lack of coverage and irresponsibility of our elected officials for not giving sufficient warning. It’s a catch 22 and completely dependent on the nature of the storm.The more the uncertainty, the greater the hype. This one was a circus event for sure.

It certainly is not healthy to sit glued to the TV and it definitely has a psychological impact on emotions. I liken it to the same kind of brainwashing influence that cable news has on people. We try to limit our viewing to track updates which in this case were not helpful or informative until 24 hours out.

You can tell from my responses that I still have some unspent nervous energy. My tennis schedule resumes tomorrow. Yeah me, I will finally get to hit the crap out of a ball!!

• Nancy says:

I often feel this way, too, Judy. Dramatics = ratings. However, I sympathize with them this time as Dorian was very unpredictable.
      Just as our NH weather is!

9. I’m very glad to hear that you are safe and Dorian is moving on. We are in fire season here in Northern Cal, so keeping fingers crossed that last year’s devastation won’t be repeated this year!

10. Erica/Erika says:

Dorian was truly a reminder about the unpredictable forces of nature. I also enjoy following Kathy at Smart Living and how she talks about what out choices are. Yes, thankful:)

11. Erica, unfortunately those reminders are coming all to frequently. It was Kathy’s post about life being a paradox that helped me find clarity and finally write this. Another benefit of on-line connections and virtual friends. 🙂

12. Nancy says:

Hi Suzanne,
    I share your sense of gratitude and relief on Dorian’s decision not to affect FL…and at the same time I feel some survivor’s guilt when I see the devastation in the Bahamas.
    They need help.
    I think it’s important for folks to understand that only Abacos and Grand Bahama and Bimini were affected…the central and southern Bahamas are open for business and need our tourism dollars so the country can rebuild where needed. Lots of folks are cancelling vacation plans when they could still enjoy the Bahamas and spend their money to help the economy. I’m evaluating what I can personally contribute.
    Ii think it’s normal to feel odd in dodging a bullet. You are still hearing the swishing as it passed over you.

13. The extreme weather conditions will impact us all more often as we move forward as we are now well entrenched in global warming. The anxiety and stress that come with hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding and summer fires are real and challenging. Preparedness is probably the key for us all. Years back we lived through a severe typhoon here in Viet Nam and it was quite an experience. What was most interesting afterwards was to see how matter of fact people were in cleaning up the city and in repairing wires, trees, houses and wifi in a short time. I guess being used to weather devastation means being more prepared. We will all have to on a personal and global level, increase our preparedness.

Glad you were spared. Whew.

Peta

Sometimes we forget to be thankful and l’m glad you took the time to express our feelings. I’m also glad you were spared the wrath of Dorian and you did what you could to prepare. Sad, but this is what we have to look forward to now..more destruction from natural disasters :-(.