Captured Moments – the Atlantic Ocean

It has been a windy week in South Florida, and while it wreaks havoc on many of my favorite outdoor activities, the conditions have been great for my number one past-time, photography.

On this day, we checked the tide charts and timed our visit to the beach perfectly.  A westerly wind direction, with gusts of 35mph, a two foot (above average) swell coupled with high tide created the perfect situation for some spectacular crashes against our Coquina lined shore.

edit10

edit9

Coquina rock played an important role in the history of Florida, and still to this day it protects the House of Refuge, which is the last remaining of ten houses built along the Florida coastline in the 1800’s. The purpose of the houses was to provide shelter for shipwreck survivors,of which there were many. Today it serves as a museum and is listed on the National Register of Historic places. I have toured the museum and while I enjoy it and recommend it to area visitors, my interest is consumed with what is behind the building – an ever changing Atlantic ocean.

FullSizeRender (10)

Malcolm and I spend countless hours enjoying this stretch of beach at all times of the day, from sunrise to sunset. The sea has endless moods and we have witnessed many  during our visits. This low tide beauty evokes sweet serenity.

Here are a few favorites from the past few months.

IMG_8647

FullSizeRender (6)

edit8

I love how the sea makes me feel small and powerful at the same time.

This entry was posted in Captured Moments, florida, photography, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Captured Moments – the Atlantic Ocean

1. Dan Antion says:

I love the sky and the waves you captured!

2. Joanne Sisco says:

I too find the changing personality of any large body of water to be fascinating. My favourite photo is the one with the wind-swept clouds. The clouds look so low you could almost touch them.

3. Your photos here are amazing. I absolutely love the rich blues. They definitely make me want to visit South Florida!

• Suzanne says:

Thank you, Donna. We are traveling to Texas this week, and I’m sitting in a hotel room in Biloxi, MS, watching the most ominous gray skies over some nasty gray water, wishing for sunshine to make it all blue. The weather was perfect until we reached the Alabama line, then it all went to hell. I am such a spoiled Florida gal.

4. Gilda Baxter says:

Suzanne, you have captured some wild waves!!!A beautiful coastline for sure. I would love to explore more of Florida in the future. We are currently in the Algarve and experiencing the force of nature here. We have been watching the wild Atlantic and some beautiful sunsets 🙂

• Suzanne says:

Gilda, we will be in Portugal in May and am hoping to have time to visit the Algarve. We are spending most of our time in Porto, which is in the opposite direction. Can’t wait to read about your experience there. Bring your motor coach to Florida any time! 🙂

5. Tracey says:

Stunning photos. I sure miss the ocean. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photography!

6. Lovely photos… especially the second to the last with the dramatic sky. A great reminder that a clear blue sky isn’t always the best for photography.

7. Nancy says:

Hi Suzanne,
    I know all about the windy weather here in South Florida as we were on our sailboat and just arrived home a day and a half ago. What lovely pix – you have captured it exactly.

Windy but beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous captures. It really does make you feel small, doesn’t it? 🙂

9. Gorgeous photos. One of the things we love when visiting SC is watching the changing tides. Low tides and lots of walkers, high tides and an entire different atmosphere. The Atlantic Ocean is large and in charge and no one should ever forget that. 🙂