Some Things Really Are Black & White

Today I am answering the call of Ingrid over at Live Laugh RV who has issued a black and white photo challenge to her readers. I am a fan of Black and White and have devoted the walls of an entire bathroom to serving as a gallery for some of my favorites.

bird edit

Pelican sightings are a common occurrence where I live, and are fun to watch, especially through a 300mm lens. I like how the wet feathers and water splash are accentuated in this photograph. The color version is not as dramatic.

P1490067 (4)

I edited this guy with a “slate” filter, which is just a lighter toned B/W, but I like the results. He will be added to the bathroom “collection” very soon. Fun Fact: origins of the Pelican have been traced back 30 Million years through fossil remains. They can also hold up to 3 gallons of water in their sack, which serves like a fisherman’s net when feeding.

birdOops, not a Pelican, oh well.  I just wanted to throw him in to show when NOT to convert to Black and White. While there is a lot of detail in the feathers, this shot is all about the eye, which totally gets lost in this version. This guy is actually an Osprey, and like the Pelican, he is a fish eater, but that is about where the similarity ends. He is classified as a bird of prey, and looks every bit the part, doesn’t he?P1510158 (2) Now that’s much better.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Some Things Really Are Black & White

1. Love your pelican images! That slate filter is perfect for the second picture.

2. Your black and white photography is truly stunning. I also love the osprey in both photos! Thank you for sharing these.

3. Ingrid says:

Great Pelican shots. I love photographing them when we visit the Texas Gulf Coast … they are such characters.

4. Dan Antion says:

These are beautiful. I love the details in the feathers.

5. Gilda Baxter says:

Stunning photos, love them all

6. leannelc says:

There is so much more to photography than just shooting a quick pic – reading your explanations of why b&w works better sometimes, and colour other times really makes sense. Loved them both.

7. pmaghamfar says:

Lovely photos. I love the idea of using your bathroom as a gallery for your photos. It’s one of my favorite things to do things a bit out of the ordinary when it comes to decor.

8. I really like that first photo.

Really awesome images. You make it look easy, and l know for sure it’s not :-). The second one is my favorite.

10. You are a pro, Suzanne! Gorgeous photographs.

11. JT Twissel says:

Wow. Incredible B&W pictures. I love the textures you captured.